The Queenmaker; A Feast for Crows, ser Gerold Dayne, Darkstar

“Are you the Sword of the Morning now?”
“No. Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.”
I want Sunspear, and my father’s seat.
I want Dorne.

How dangerous are Arianne Martell's desires for her father's crown?...

Ser Gerold Dayne appears as a strange member in the party princess Arianne Martell had put together, with the objective of crowning Myrcella Baratheon as queen of the Seven Kingdoms.
Arianne friends are playful and apparently oblivious of the dangers related to such a mission, while ser Arys Oakheart is bound by honor.

Arianne herself has all her plans, desires, envy and pride motivations; while Darkstar is the odd man out.

In a later chapter he's accused of striking princess Myrcella with a sword blow which could have taken out her head, but we don't really see the action on page. T
he drawing is about Darkstar description and his allegedly bloody sword.
But there's a lot of speculation to be made on how and why the princess injuries came to pass.

Reference excerpt from the book: The Queenmaker; A Feast for Crows

Ser Gerold Dayne had an aquiline nose, high cheekbones, a strong jaw.
He kept his face clean-shaven, but his thick hair fell to his collar like a silver glacier, divided by a streak of midnight black.

He has a cruel mouth, though, and a crueler tongue.

His eyes seemed black as he sat outlined against the dying sun, sharpening his steel, but she had looked at them from a closer vantage and she knew that they were purple.

Dark purple. Dark and angry.

[…]

“Princess.”

Ser Gerold Dayne stood behind her, half in starlight and half in shadow.

“How was your piss?” Arianne inquired archly.

“The sands were duly grateful.”

Dayne put a foot upon the head of a statue that might have been the Maiden till the sands had scoured her face away.

“It occurred to me as I was pissing that this plan of yours may not yield you what you want.”

“And what is it I want, ser?”

“The Sand Snakes freed. Vengeance for Oberyn and Elia.
Do I know the song?
You want a little taste of lion blood.”

That, and my birthright.
I want Sunspear, and my father’s seat.
I want Dorne.

“I want justice.”

“Call it what you will.
Crowning the Lannister girl is a hollow gesture.
She will never sit the Iron Throne.
Nor will you get the war you want.
The lion is not so easily provoked.”

“The lion’s dead. Who knows which cub the lioness prefers?”

“The one in her own den.”

Ser Gerold drew his sword.
It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies.

“This is how you start a war.
Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel.”

I am no murderer of children.

“Put that away. Myrcella is under my protection.
And Ser Arys will permit no harm to come to his precious princess, you know that.”

“No, my lady.
What I know is that Daynes have been killing Oakhearts for several thousand years.”

His arrogance took her breath away.

“It seems to me that Oakhearts have been killing Daynes for just as long.”

“We all have our family traditions.”
Darkstar sheathed his sword.
“The moon is rising, and I see your paragon approaching.”


Creative Commons License
ser Gerold Dayne, Darkstar. by Winter Design is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.winterdesign.it/.

Comments